Being on the road can make getting to the gym challenging. Sometimes I feel like every time I leave for a trip I am heading out on hiatus and my body is just going to have to wait to get back in the gym when I get home. This could be months later if I really listened to that inner feeling. So instead, I have learned how to convert my hotel room into a traveling gym. First things first, I bring my running shoes on every trip with me so that I never have an excuse to get my legs moving. Here’s a quick routine that I use to keep my muscles firing and heart pumping while I’m trotting the globe. PS. Don’t forget your music, (and Skullcandy heaphones) a must for motivation!
- Jumping Jacks: Start with 30 seconds of jumping jacks
- Squats: 30 seconds of stationary squat jumps. Jumping vertically and landing in a squat position. Be light on your feet.
- Tricep Dips: Place an end table behind you, place your hands on the table directly under your shoulders. Dips to 90 degrees and straighten. 30 seconds
- Pushups: 30 seconds
- Situps: Crunches and toe touches. 30 seconds
- Burpees: Start in a standing position, drop your hands to floor, jump your feet into plank position, lower into a pushup. Jump feet forward, jump off the ground, and return to standing. Repeat this for 30 seconds.
- Wall sits: Sit with your back against a wall with your legs at a 90 degree angle- Hold for 30 seconds
- Plank: hold for 30 seconds
- Repeat this series 4-6 times for the best results
- 10. Stretch out the muscles you used during this workout.
Some of the other stretch it out must haves for long trips:
- Foam Roller
- Yoga mat
- 2 Tennis balls in a sock for rolling out sore muscles